As one of Hull’s leading tech businesses, we develop critical software and infrastructure for the emergency services and public safety control rooms. Our innovative and dynamic solutions serve, protect and connect society.
Our technology helps to save lives daily, across the world – That’s pretty cool right?
Here in the UK, our technology is used by 69% of the Police Forces and you’ll also find APD technology at the heart of both the London Underground and Gatwick Airport.
Further afield, we have customers in Sweden’s hospital and the Swedish Police, as well as in Ireland and Iceland. We also keep Dubai Airport, the world’s busiest international passenger airport connected.
When you join APD Communications, you’ll be part of something much bigger. From our offices in Hull, we operate as a business unit within Northgate Public Services (NPS), which is a wholly owned NEC Corporation subsidiary.
Being part of the NPS Safety Division, and the NEC Corporation, means you’re joining a worldwide team of over 100,000 operating in over 70 countries. We all share a passion for developing innovative public safety solutions that create a brighter world for us as global citizens – does this sound like you?
You will be part of a fantastic team, based in Hull who really make a positive difference to the society that we live in. Life at APD is fast paced, we don’t stand still, we embrace changes in technology and the opportunities that those changes provide.
We employ ‘Geeks with Goals’, people who love what they do with a passion, that are committed to helping us grow and who truly care that they can make a difference.
The people in our teams are our best asset, so our workplace is empowering, encouraging and everyone has a voice that is listened to. We have a flexible, trusted and collaborative environment in which our people thrive in.
Service Desk Engineer
About the Service Desk Engineer job
The Service Desk Engineer is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced IT Service Desk professional to develop their career whilst supporting the emergency services and our internal teams. The Service Desk is the first point of contact for our internal and external customers that need technical support – via call or email. You will be using your technical knowledge to assist customers directly and escalating more technical issues to the Support Engineers.
The Service Desk Engineer ensures APD’s Support Contract customers via the provision of first line technical advice, fault resolution and support in line with the appropriate Service Level Agreements. This role will also provide mentoring and guidance to the Service Desk Apprentice.
You will be do and how you will grow
· Provide a first line response service to customers via telephone and email (calls requiring first line activities, spares replacements, hardware maintainer to attend site, admin requests etc)
· Monitor and progress customer calls and escalate any issues as necessary to ensure customer communication is maintained throughout the life of the call, and Response and Return to Service targets etc are being met
· Provision of ad hoc, weekly & monthly Customer reports. Also assist in the design and provision of fault and performance statistics/reports to the APD management team
· Assist with administrative tasks for the Support function – this could be the provision of spares to customers, completion of monthly checks for customers, coordination of telephony diverts to Duty Engineers, and Hotel and Car Bookings for customer site visits etc
· Once trained, participate in the provision of an Out of Hours support and fault resolution service to UK and international customers and 3rdparty suppliers for all issues designated as being operationally Critical or Major in nature
About you and what you have already done
· Experience in a similar role
· Passionate about IT, with working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft systems
· Strong communication skills, in both person and by telephone
· Experience of ITIL is preferable
· Experience in ISO Audits is desirable
So, if you are looking to develop your IT career further, ready to get stuck in and think APD is a place where you can develop your IT passion - apply now!
Please note due to the awesome work we do with the emergency services all employees must go through police vetting; this means we cannot accept applicants that do not have the last 3 years continuous residency in the UK. We cannot offer visa sponsorship.